Tuesday, February 26, 2008

MEXICO February, 2008!



Sometimes there are no words to describe the sights there are to see. If I was a gifted writer I might be able to paint a word picture to describe exactly what I saw and how I felt, but even then, you would never know what I really experienced until you saw, touched, tasted, and smelled for yourself. There is no level of imagination that can be accurate. There are certain emotions I only feel in Mexico. My heart is broken and I feel powerless to do anything. I saw entire families living in houses smaller than my bedroom. I smelled trash thrown everywhere. I saw children throwing rocks at the overpopulation of starving dogs. I saw a woman whose 5 kids slept in a double bed while she slept on the cold cement floor. I saw the same woman make a living by cooking food off of a piece of metal and cement rocks. This is the woman who has had one of the greatest effects of my life. On the walls of her very small palate house, Deborah had Bible verses written, some in Spanish, some in English. The one that stuck out the most was "the Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want." Seeing this almost brought tears to my eyes as I realized that here is this woman, with almost nothing to call her own and she is reminding herself not to want. This is the same verse I quote to myself when there is something I want but can not have. What an amazing woman. She was blessed with a new home, a stove, and a bed, but she blessed me with so much more.
It's amazing how this was my 6th trip to Mexico. I still cannot believe how radically changed I am each time I go down. I have not been desensitized to the sights and smells. In fact, I think each time something new is sparked in my heart, something I never caught before. Thank you, Father, for once again allowing me to make this trip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home