Sunday, August 14, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

I actually wrote this blog like a while ago, but I saved it as a draft for some reason.
I just saw a great movie today. It's called Hotel Rwanda. It's a true story of a country suffering from civil war genocide. One man hid a bunch of refugees from both sides inside of the hotel he managed. His family thought they had a chance to leave the country, but he stayed back to protect the people. What really got me thought was that other countries wouldn't help. Some people would help for a little while if they got what they wanted (usually wisky). They just stood by and watched almost 1 million people die to the machete. It made me think about my own life. It made me think about how I would have reacted. I know that if I had the oportunity to leave the war zone, I would not have stayed to help people. I would probably say, "sucks to be you" and go to safety.
On Thursday I went conoeing with the youth group. There were I think 12 of us, and Joe was one of them. It was so cool to see the joy in his face. He hadn't been conoeing since his accident. He was smiling the whole time. At the end, his conoe tipped over and he was gasping for breath. We all did what we could to help. Emily jumped out to help him up, so Rena and I were alone in the conoe. We didn't know what to do and didn't want to get in the way, so we conoed around to collect all of the ores and shoes and floatation devices that fell out. We did what we could. We also helped him in and out of the conoe and up and down hills. It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but it was all worth it to see just one of Joe's smiles or hear one of his laughs. One of Joe's aids told me that she was really thrilled and suprised that the youth would pull together and help him, but none of us thought twice about helping. One thing Craig said on Sunday is that one thing being a Christian is is useing our lives to point to Jesus. I think we did that when we helped Joe out because him and his aids got to see a little taste of Jesus through our lives. None of us thought twice about just sitting back and watching like other countries did in the movie. I guess I'm saying all of that to say that I want to be the kind of person who would risk my life to save people instead of saving myself. I want to be the kind of person who sees another person in need and helps them out, no matter what the cost. I sure don't want to be selfish! I really feel like I am. Sometimes I am so vain in thinking about me and my own own issues, that I forget completely about the person sitting right by me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was an awesome trip, and it was alot of work at the same time. However it was all worth it. And to see Joe so happy was just icing on the cake. And like you said, I never thought anything of helping, it just happened. And if it hadn't been for Craig, I don't think I would have gotten anything spiritual out of the day.

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home